Saturday, October 22, 2022

What's happening in the late October edible garden

Lavender in late fall
Saturday, October 22, 2022

Well, we had record cold through the Midwest, setting record low temps across the country for this time of year.  The summer veggies are done until next spring.  Does that mean the end of the kitchen garden?  Nope.  There is still much in the garden to enjoy!

The cold season crops have survived the first twenties of the year.  Kale, lettuce, onions, mustards, chard, carrots and herbs are nice and green.  All cold season crops get sweeter when the mercury dips.  Cold season crops for your edible garden

Now is a fun time of year to experiment in the kitchen with all the fresh herbs that are still available.  Parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, tarragon, bay, lavender, chives are all hardy herbs into January.  I have had many Christmas dinners with herbs fresh from the garden.

You can also bring tender perennials like rosemary and bay into the garage or house for the winter.  Other veggies I bring in are my hot pepper plants, goji berry, moringa tree and citrus trees.  I have kept them in our unheated, insulated garage with a 4' grow light over them.  We have an unfinished basement now so that is where most will go under grow lights while others will sit in front of a sunny window in the house.

You can also take a look at all the tomatoes you have put up in freezer bags.  If you have more than you know you need, this is the perfect time of year to do some water bath canning.  I go through and any left over from last year, I make into sauce.  Time to make homemade tomato sauce! 

If you haven't already, now is a good time to go through your summer garlic harvest, choosing the biggest cloves from the biggest bulbs to plant and preserving the rest.  I peel garlic while I watch TV.  I like to pop the extra cloves in vinegar to preserve them.  Have garlic any time you need it, just pickle some!   Time to plant garlic!

As even more freezing weather comes our way, you can extend the season for lettuce and greens through the winter by using a portable green house or making your own hoop house.  I have a portable green house I put over my pots with edibles.  I will still have lettuce and salad fixings until spring.  Extend the season with protection for plants

The biggest killer of veggies in greenhouses?  Getting too hot!  Make sure you crack open your green house when the temps get above freezing and the sun is shining.  

No comments:

Post a Comment