Monday, February 15, 2021

Quick tip-the few tools needed for edible gardening

My gardening tools
Monday, February 15, 2021

So, you are thinking of starting an edible gardening and wondering what tools you will need.  The good news is that there are very few required!  Most of them can even be repurposed from their current kitchen use.

I use just a few tools regularly.  A trowel for digging, a knee pad to kneel on when digging and weeding, some kind of gloves for keeping my hands protected, a measuring cup and tablespoon for measuring out fertilizer, a small cardboard box to carry stuff around with, and something to do spot watering with.

I would invest in a strong trowel.  Make sure that the blade and handle is solid and not thin or hollow.  The ground can be pretty hard when you first start gardening so you need a strong trowel.  In a pinch, I have used a strong tablespoon for digging.

Any type of foam for a knee pad should work.  You could also just use a piece of folded cardboard for knee protection.  

I use gloves that have plastic on the fingers to keep my hands dry and fairly clean.  Just cloth allows the dirt and moisture through.  Even plastic housecleaning gloves work well.  You don't have to buy "gardening gloves", although they do come in pretty designs.  Lately, I have been using work gloves with latex coating.  They work well and are inexpensive.  

My measuring cup and tablespoon are just ones I had in the kitchen and repurposed for the garden.  Nothing special about them at all.  The box that I use to lug my supplies around with and put my harvest in is one that I was given at the local hardware store when I bought transplants.  As long as you don't get it wet, it lasts for years!

I had watering cans already for my indoor plants.  A large watering can is helpful if you are planning a large garden.  I water the seedlings when I first plant them and then for a few days afterwards if they need it.  Mine is a 2 gallon watering can.  You can also repurpose a bowl or pitcher from the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment