Sunday, December 11, 2011

What to do with hot peppers? Part 1


Pimento peppers

Sunday, December 11, 2011



Last week end, I rescued the slightly frost bitten peppers before our first freeze.  This past summer, I grew peppers in pots.  I went with the standby’s, cayenne and jalapeno, and tried a couple of new ones, Peter pepper (very rare of unknown origin), Pimento (we love them in salads), and a couple of sweet pepper varieties.


I had plenty of cayennes and jalapenos in the freezer.  What else to do with my spicy friends?  I decided to make hot sauce!  I took the cayennes, splice them in two and placed them in apple cider vinegar.


Today, when I went to make hot wings with sweet potato fries, I was out of store bought hot sauce so decided to give my homemade hot sauce a whirl.  I mixed up 4 “pickled” and pureed cayenne peppers, 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar it was pickling in, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 stick of butter, and a couple tablespoons of bacon grease.  I grilled the wings and then covered them in sauce.  Yum!  Definitely will do this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment