Saturday, December 24, 2011

Warm joys of winter squash

Baked acorn squash with seeds ready to dry

Saturday, December 24, 2011

One of the lowest effort food preservation foods-winter squash.  They say the optimum way to store winter squash is to put them in a cool place out of direct sunlight.  I leave my squash on the countertop; they are just too pretty to hide away!  I ate my last winter squash in May this past year.  They have an amazing shelf life.


The other great thing about winter squash is that when you scoop out the seeds to prepare them, you can save the seed for planting in early summer.  Save the seeds from the ones that are extra tasty.  You simply lay them out to dry (I used a paper towel to place them on until they dry).  Once dry, I place them in a ziplock and put them in the produce drawer in the frig.  I store all my seeds in ziplocks in the frig.  They last for years this way!

For preparation, many peel their squash.  I am for the quick, simple approach.  I simply cut them in half and bake or grill them.  I use a spoon to scoop out the sweet, delicious centers when done.
I have to say grilling them is my favorite.  I put butter and herbs in their cavity, place them on the grill with the steaks, and cook them until they are tender.  So simple and so good.
I also bake them on dreary days.  The acorn squash pictured above, I cut in half, placed in a baking dish, filled the dish with water up a quarter inch on the squash, added a little butter, applesauce, and pecans, and baked until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment