Sunday, July 28, 2024

My top 5 edibles that love pots

Spring lettuce with petunias in a pot
Sunday, July 28, 2024

There are so many new varieties out every year.  There are ones that are more resistant to disease.  Ones that have higher nutritional value.  Ones that produce more.  Ones that have improved taste.  Ones that are developed for their small size and big harvests for those of us who have limited space or just want to get more for the effort.  It is amazing what can now be grown in pots!  Space, or lack thereof, is not a barrier to growing your own veggies these days.

These are the edibles that love to be in a pot in my garden.  I grow these in pots every year.

Lettuce and other greens.  I grow 90% of my lettuce and greens in pots.  I can move the pot to where the lettuce growing conditions are the best.  In the spring and winter, that means full sun.  In the summer and early fall, that means morning sun and afternoon shade.  For the summer lovers like orach, New Zealand spinach, Red Malabar spinach and amaranth, they do well in full sun spring, summer and fall. 
Peppers.  I grow all my pepper plants in pots.  I have tried both in a container and in the garden bed, but overall they do better in a pot.  I grow all my hot and sweet peppers in containers.  I also overwinter my hot peppers in the basement or garage.  I have had one that is now 8 years old.  I have tried overwintering sweet peppers but they haven't survived indoors.
Eggplant.  I grow all my eggplant in pots.  The bigger the plant, the bigger the pot you need to optimize the harvest.  Eggplants have striking foliage and many have colorful fruits.  Paired with petunias, they make a beautiful arrangement.
Celery.  My Utah Improved celery is a happy self seeder.  It has been reseeding itself for years now.  Celery loves a lot of moisture so putting it in a self-watering pot allows it to flourish.  You can harvest from celery year round too.  It can be brought into an unheated garage for the winter and will do fine.
Egyptian walking onions.   This is a super hardy perennial plant that propagates underground by division and above ground with bulblets.  I have had mine in a pot for over 10 years year round.  

Be sure to match the right edible with the size of pot you have.  There are many more edibles that can thrive growing in containers.   Vegetables you can grow in pots  

I add flowers to many of my edible pots.  This not only adds pizazz to the container, but attracts beneficial pollinators that increase yields.  A real win-win.  

When growing veggies and fruit in containers, they will require more watering and more liquid fertilizer than if they were in the ground.  In the summer, you may have to water some water lovers every day.  Summer garden tips

To reduce watering, purchase or make pots that have a water reservoir in the bottom.  A couple on the market today are “Earthbox” and “Grow Box”.  With these type of pots, you can water weekly.  I always put mulch on top of the soil to help keep the moisture in.

You can make your own self-watering containers using 5 gallon buckets or other plastic containers or you can buy a self watering kit to convert your existing container to a self watering pot.

Be sure to have good soil in your pots.  Make sure your soil is ready to get your new veggies going as soon as you put them in the pot.  If you are re-using a pot, you will need to  Re-energize your potting soil!  Having fertile soil with lots of minerals is not only good for the plant, but also gives you veggies with better nutritional value.  You really are what you eat!

Pepper plant in a pot

With all the colors and varieties out there, beautiful container combinations can expand and beautify your garden space.

No comments:

Post a Comment