Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Quick tip 8-start an indoor herb garden

Young rosemary plant

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Winter can be a downer time of year for those of us that love to garden, but it doesn't have to be!  There are many "gardener" things you can do during the cold months of the year.  I'm going to share an idea each week for the rest of the winter on gardening activities that help satisfy the itch and prepare us better for the upcoming spring season.  Here we go with Winter Quick Tip 8-start an indoor herb garden. 

 

I got my start on edible gardening with an indoor herb garden.  I wanted to have a healthy way to make my house smell good.  I had bought a clearance book on herbs "The Complete Book of Herbs: A practical guide to growing and using herbs" and it had a section on herbs that can be grown indoors in a spot that gets 6 hours of sunlight.


The herbs recommended are prostate sage, dripping pennyroyal, borage, sorrel, sweet basil, tarragon, lungwort, golden marjoram, parsley, spearmint, golden creeping thyme, salad burnet, chives, rosemary, bay and nasturtium.  These are a combination of herbs that smell good, can be used in cooking, and salads.  Pick the ones that you think you would get the best use in growing.


For scent, I chose to grow sage, sweet basil, tarragon, marjoram, spearmint, thyme and rosemary.  I found that the herbs don't exude a strong fragrance unless you brush them with your hand.  I planted them outdoors in the spring and added other edibles and herbs as time went on.


I have since learned that when you harvest herbs and put them in a paper bag to dry, wherever they are drying smells fabulous.  So, I am getting great fragrance inside from the herbs I am growing outdoors.  


Herbs are ones that are easy to grow.  Most are native to the Mediterranean region were drought and poor soil is common.  It is a great first garden to try!  

Start a kitchen herb garden!


Today, my edible garden contains all the herbs she recommended except pennyroyal and lungwort.  Maybe I should add them to my garden this year to complete the circle..........


No comments:

Post a Comment