Saturday, April 15, 2023

Quick update-summer seeds planted so far

Seed starting pot
Saturday, April 15, 2023

I have been busy sowing seeds outdoors this season.  I usually do the indoor seed starting routine for most of my edibles but decided to do direct sowing into pots this year to see how this approach goes.  I miss seeing my seedlings every time I walk by inside, but it is fun to go outside every morning and evening to see if I have any little green shoots poking through the ground.

I waited until after our last frost date (April 2) and that the extended forecast didn't show any chance of getting down into the 30's for the next 14 days. I have planted all my spring edibles outdoors through the month of February. 

April in our zone is the time you can start your summer loving edibles.  I waited until after our last frost date (April 2) and that the extended forecast didn't show any chance of getting down into the 30's for the next 14 days.  I started all my seeds in pots except for my squash seeds.  I decided to use our potato boxes for them this year.  I'm going to be so busy that I am going to skip potatoes this year.

 Beans-Planted snap bean, shell beans and winged beans in large pots with a trellis for each.  They all did fine last year in large pots.  Snap bean are Blauhilde which is disease resistant, winged bean is Japanese Urizun that has a beautiful blue flower, shell beans are 1500 Year Old and Christmas Speckles lima bean. 

Cucumber-only planted 1 in a large pot-Bush Champion.  Bush Champion gives me just what I want to eat and can into pickles and pickle relish.

Eggplant-Planted these in medium size pots.  I have tried many varieties to find those that don't get bitter in our hot summers.  This year, I planted Rotanda Bianca, Amadeo, White and AO Daimaru.  They've all done well in years past.  4 is probably more than we need, but gives me an extra if not all germinate.

Herbs-Planted these in long, shallow pots that I use just to start seedlings.  After they sprout, I will move to their spot in the garden bed.  I like starting them in a pot to keep an eye on them.  I started Giant Italian parsley, Cardinal basil, Genovese basil, Chinese Pink celery, Grandma Einck's dill, Dukat, dill, Bouquet dill, Dwarf Lemon cilantro, rosemary, and Rose Rhapsody salvia. 

Lettuce-Planted these in long, shallow pots that I use just to start seedlings and some in their final pots.  As the lettuce that is overwintering bolts (they have already started), I will put the new ones in to replace them.  I try to start lettuce about every three weeks to keep a steady supply for salads.  
 
Peppers-Planted these medium pots.  Peppers just seem to do best in pots.  I like to grow the smaller fruiting ones as they seem to produce more and I can snack on a couple every day.  I have 2 that overwintered in the basement, a cayenne and a Chiptelin pepper plant.  I have them back outside.  The cayenne is flowering and has baby peppers on it already.  I planted seeds for a sweet chocolate pepper from saved seed, Tunisian Baklouti medium heat pepper, and a few Ancho Poblano pepper plants to make chili powder from.

Pollinator garden-Planted Takane Ruby buckwheat in my pollinator long shallow seed starting pot.  It is pretty and bees are supposed to love it.  I will transplant out into my pollinator garden after the seedlings are nice and sturdy. 

Tomatoes-Planted these in long, shallow pots that I use just to start seedlings.  After they sprout, I will move to their spot in the garden bed.  I like starting them in a pot to keep an eye on them.  I usually plant a couple extra seeds for each.  I can easily separate them before I put them in their final spot.  The varieties I planted are Indigo Pear Drops, Chocolate Pear and Cherokee Purple because they always do well in my garden, Red Pear large paste tomato because they make the silkiest sauces, Evil Olive and A Grappali D'Inverno to try out a couple of storage tomatoes in my root cellar, Wood's Famous Brimmer because it is supposed to be prolific and tasty and Martino's Roma because it is supposed to be a prolific paste tomato.  

Squash-Planted these in the potato boxes my hubby made for me.  I had volunteers that I think hitched a ride in our mulch last year that did great in the potato boxes.  I planted seed for Trombetta a very large rambler that can either be used as zucchini or a winter squash.  It had only a tiny bit of powdery mildew and no squash bug problems in my garden the last two years so it is a mainstay.  I am trying Warsaw spaghetti squash because of its disease resistance and Mashed Potato squash to see if it really tastes like mashed potatoes. 

Summer greens-I have seedlings already going for summer greens like orach, sweet mustard greens, and Chinese cabbage that can be started in February.  I just planted Pink Beauty amaranth because it doesn't do well until after frosty nights are over.  I planted these seeds in long, shallow pots that I use just to start seedlings.  I'll transplant once they are up and going strong.

The only summer edible I have left to start is okra.  I'm going to grow Burgundy okra.  It is pretty and has done great in my garden.  I'll likely start it this week end.  

      Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment