Sunday, November 24, 2019

Homemade wings sauce

Fall potted pepper and zinnias
Sunday, November 24, 2019

Fall is the time to make wings and watch football.  It is easy to make your own wings sauce using your homegrown hot peppers and garlic.

I grow my peppers in pots.  I have tried them both in the ground and pots.  They just seem to do better in pots.  The other advantage is that I can easily overwinter the best performers in the garage so they get a jump start on production next spring.  Peppers are for every taste and garden

I have plenty of cayennes and jalapeños in the freezer.  What to do with my spicy friends?  I decided to make hot sauce!  I took the cayennes, splice them in two and placed them in organic apple cider vinegar.  After a couple of months, I go ahead and put the pickled peppers in a food processor so it becomes a hot ‘sauce” ready to use in cooking.  Make your own hot sauce!

A while back when I went to make hot wings with sweet potato fries, I was out of store bought hot sauce so decided to give my homemade hot sauce a whirl.  I mixed up a 1/2 cup of my homemade hot sauce, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 stick of butter, and a couple tablespoons of bacon grease.  Throw in some minced homemade pickled garlic for some garlicky taste.  Have garlic any time you need it, just pickle some!

I grill the wings to give them a smoky flavor, then throw them in the pot with the wings sauce, letting them simmer for about 5 minutes, and serve.  Yum!  This has become our wing go-to recipe. 

One other tip I have learned doing this for a while, if you want a thicker sauce to have more stick to the wings (and ratcheting up the heat), whisk a little corn starch (about a tablespoon) mixed with cold water into the sauce.  Once it comes to a boil, it thickens.  I used to use wings.  I now use boneless chicken thighs.  All the same great taste, just not nearly as messy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment