Saturday, July 23, 2022

Quick and fresh homemade salsa

Mid summer harvest
Saturday, July 23, 2022

Here is our homemade and very quick salsa recipe using everything from the garden.  It is a little on the spicy side, so you may want to cut back on the hot peppers if you like a milder taste. 
Homemade homegrown salsa recipe:
 Quart of thawed frozen homegrown tomatoes 
1 cayenne-frozen, thawed or fresh off the vine
1 jalapeno-frozen, thawed or fresh off the vine
1 bell pepper-frozen, thawed or fresh off the vine
1 fresh onion, 
a couple of cloves of garlic-fresh or pickled
a healthy handful of cilantro or tarragon
Throw them all into the food processor and viola!  Fresh, spicy salsa.

All the extra tomatoes that come off the vine, I will slice up and freeze so I can use the rest of the year.  Any frozen from the previous year goes into sauce in the fall.  I wait until it is cooler before I can!  Preserving the tomato harvest

I do the same with sweet and hot peppers, freeze the extras that we can't eat fresh.  I freeze the small ones whole and slice up the larger sweet peppers.  They retain their flavor for a couple of years without blanching.  Preserving peppers

As the cilantro goes to seed, I use tarragon as a substitute.  It adds a slightly different taste, but is still quite good.

For garlic, I pickle my harvest so it lasts for years in the refrigerator.  Have garlic any time you need it, just pickle some!

I haven't had the best of luck with large bulbing onions in the garden, but the Egyptian walking onions do great in the garden or in a pot!  For this salsa recipe, I pull one onion and use both the bulb and the stalk.  Egyptian walking onions

No comments:

Post a Comment