Sunday, September 4, 2016

Quick tip-be sure to fertilize to keep the garden going!

Poinsettia, a sweet pepper, plant in a pot

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Don't let the call of fall trick you into thinking that your garden is past needing to be fertilized!
Many of the summer veggies love the fall weather.  I typically get the strongest harvests of peppers and tomatoes this time of year.  I wasn't seeing the number of fruits we have in the past in our garden in July.  I had fertilized each month with a good, organic fertilizer and compost every month.  At first, I thought it was due to all the rain.  Rain can wash away the pollen not allowing the flowers to get fertilized, but the plants were also small.

We decided to double up on nitrogen.  A great deal of rain can wash away nitrogen since it is water soluble.  I added 2 tablespoons of feather meal, 1 tablespoon of bat guano, and 1 teaspoon of kelp meal for each garden plant and pot.  This did the trick!  All the plants filled out and up and are now loaded with fruits.
Make your own fertilizer, it's all natural and inexpensive

I am harvesting green beans, peppers and tomatoes every day a month later.  To keep the plants nourished, I fertilized again today.  I'll also water the fertilizer in with a liquid kelp and seaweed spray tomorrow morning.
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment