Monday, August 5, 2013

What's happening in the early August Midwest garden




Monday, August 5, 2013


This summer has been the mildest I have experienced in my life.  It has been in the 70’s and 80’s with nice rains about every week.  It has been wonderful!  It has been great for the tomatoes, beans, herbs, zucchini, cucumbers, and greens.


The eggplants and peppers have been slow, likely due to the cool temperatures and many cloudy days.

A secret to maximizing your peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, and zucchinis is to harvest them consistently.  The plants driving force is to reproduce so by continuing to harvest, it causes the plant to put on more fruits.

The dwarf tomatoes continue to do really well.  For slicing, I would definitely recommend them!

I started lettuce seed about a month ago and have now replanted them into the Earthbox.  I also scattered more seed into the Earthbox to keep the harvest going well into late fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment