Friday, May 18, 2012

It is that bolting time of year.....



Bolting kale, romaine, lettuce, and cilantro from left to right

Friday, May 18, 2012 

It is that time of year, all those wonderful, sweet spring greens are bolting for the sun!
Kale, broccoli, lettuce, chard, sorrel are all bolting in my garden this time of year.  Their stalks reach for the sun with their little yellow flowers poking their heads out.  The pollinators love these little flowers.
The leaves are still edible, but can be too bitter for many tastes.
It is so hard for me to do, but it is time to yank out the spring greens and replace with the summer veggies.  My hubby helps me out on this one.  I share with him which ones should go and he is happy to tidy the garden up for me.
Chard and sorrel can be left in the ground, but you have to keep a good check on their seed stalks or your garden will be overrun by these opportunists!
The garden does look so much neater with the overgrown spring greens out and the summer babies planted................

No comments:

Post a Comment